Purpose and Agreement
Mitchell County Schools has its own homepage which may be found at www.mitchell.k12.ga.us. Each of the school’s websites may also be accessed from this address. Mitchell County School System recognizes the importance of technology and seeks to educate students on how to be conscientious users of all types of technology. This agreement sets out guidelines for acceptable use of the computer network, including internet and email by students and employees of Mitchell County Schools and can be reviewed at www.mitchell.k12.ga.us. Misuse or abuse of the internet or any technology equipment may result in a child losing the privilege to use devices and internet or other disciplinary action. Student Responsibility
- Students must comply with the Technology Acceptable Use Agreement.
- Students must treat their device with care and never leave it in an unsecured location.
- Students must promptly report any problems with their Chromebook to the teacher.
- Students may not remove or interfere with the serial number and other identification tags.
- Students may not attempt to remove or change the physical structure of the Chromebook, including the keys, screen cover or plastic casing.
- Students may not attempt to install or run any operating system on the Chromebook other than the Chrome OS operating system supported by the school.
- Students must keep their device clean and must not touch the screen with anything (e.g., your finger, pen, pencil, etc.) other than approved computer screen cleaners.
- Students must follow the instructions of staff members at all times and must only use the device when instructed to do so in the classroom.
Use of Google and Chromebooks:
Educational content and resources will be delivered through Google Apps for Education via the Chromebook. Students will be called upon to create, write and produce multimedia using the device. Students are expected to utilize the assigned Chromebook appropriately on a daily basis. All use of the Google and Chromebooks must be consistent with district policies. Students should not share their Google Account information with other students and the information should be always kept in a secure location.
Students must follow the six conditions of being a good digital citizen:
Copyright and File Sharing: Students are required to follow all copyright laws around all media including text, images, programs, music, and video. Downloading, sharing, and posting online illegally obtained media is against the MCSS Acceptable Use of Technology policy.
- Respect Yourself. I will show respect for myself through my actions. I will select online names that are appropriate, I will consider the information and images that I post online. I will consider what personal information about my life, experiences, experimentation, or relationships I post. I will not be obscene.
- Protect Yourself. I will ensure that the information, images, and materials I post online will not put me at risk. I will not publish my personal details, contact details or a schedule of my activities. I will report any attacks or inappropriate behavior directed at me. I will protect passwords, accounts, and resources.
- Respect others. I will show respect to others. I will not use electronic mediums to antagonize, bully, harass or stalk other people. I will show respect for other people in my choice of websites, I will not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate. I will not abuse my rights of access and I will not enter other people's private spaces or areas.
- Protect Others. I will protect others by reporting abuse, not forwarding inappropriate materials or communications; I will moderate unacceptable materials and conversations, and will not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate.
- Respect Intellectual Property. I will request permission to use resources. I will suitably cite any and all use of websites, books, media etc. I will acknowledge all primary sources. I will validate information. I will use and abide by the fair use rules.
- Protect Intellectual Property. I will request to use the software and media others produce. I will use free and open-source alternatives rather than pirating software. I will purchase, license, and register all software. I will purchase my music and media, and refrain from distributing these in a manner that violates their licenses. I will act with integrity.
Damage: In the event of an accident, a written letter signed by a parent must be submitted to the school office with an explanation of the event. Parents or guardians are responsible for the full replacement cost of the Chromebook regarding damage. The full replacement cost is $400. Lost accessories replacement cost is $25.
Chromebook Acceptable Use Pledge:
I understand that Chromebooks and/or any devices used at school are the property of the Mitchell County School System. I agree to use the device properly and will follow all instructions provided to me by my teachers and other adults at Mitchell County High School. This means I will:
- Only use a Chromebook for educational purposes
- Stay on task when using a Chromebook
- Use only educationally appropriate apps and websites
- Treat all Chromebooks gently and safely
- Keep my passwords secret
- Give credit for images and words using proper citation
- Print only when I have permission
- Communicate online safely and appropriately for school related purposes
- Turn in the Chromebook to my designated or academic teacher at the end of the day to be charged.
This also means I will not:
- Deface, mark, damage or remove the school provided identification on my Chromebook
- Access the Internet or apps without teacher permission
- Produce, access, download or upload content/images/videos that could disrupt the school day
- Download any apps, extensions, or games without specific permission from a teacher
- Make changes to hardware and software
- Use another person’s username and/or password
- Cyberbully, harass, or discriminate
- Post, send, or store online information that could endanger others
- Try to get through the Internet filters
- Send electronic mail inappropriate for educational purposes
- Reveal personal information about myself or another person
- Use inappropriate language
- Participate in illegal activity
- Violate school or district policy
I acknowledge and understand that I am expected to care for my Chromebook appropriately. If I violate any condition of this agreement, I may have my computer privileges suspended/ revoked and I could face disciplinary action. If I damage the Chromebook, I am responsible for the full $400.00 replacement cost.