Policies and Procedures
Purpose and Agreement
Mitchell County Schools has its own homepage which may be found at www.mitchell.k12.ga.us. Each of the school’s websites may also be accessed from this address. Mitchell County School System recognizes the importance of technology and seeks to educate students on how to be conscientious users of all types of technology. This agreement sets out guidelines for acceptable use of the computer network, including internet and email by students and employees of Mitchell County Schools and can be reviewed at www.mitchell.k12.ga.us. Misuse or abuse of the internet or any technology equipment may result in a child losing the privilege to use devices and internet or other disciplinary action. Student Responsibility
Educational content and resources will be delivered through Google Apps for Education via the Chromebook. Students will be called upon to create, write and produce multimedia using the device. Students are expected to utilize the assigned Chromebook appropriately on a daily basis. All use of the Google and Chromebooks must be consistent with district policies. Students should not share their Google Account information with other students and the information should be always kept in a secure location. Digital Citizenship:
Students must follow the six conditions of being a good digital citizen:
- Respect Yourself. I will show respect for myself through my actions. I will select online names that are appropriate, I will consider the information and images that I post online. I will consider what personal information about my life, experiences, experimentation, or relationships I post. I will not be obscene.
- Protect Yourself. I will ensure that the information, images, and materials I post online will not put me at risk. I will not publish my personal details, contact details or a schedule of my activities. I will report any attacks or inappropriate behavior directed at me. I will protect passwords, accounts, and resources.
- Respect others. I will show respect to others. I will not use electronic mediums to antagonize, bully, harass or stalk other people. I will show respect for other people in my choice of websites, I will not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate. I will not abuse my rights of access and I will not enter other people's private spaces or areas.
- Protect Others. I will protect others by reporting abuse, not forwarding inappropriate materials or communications; I will moderate unacceptable materials and conversations, and will not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate.
- Respect Intellectual Property. I will request permission to use resources. I will suitably cite any and all use of websites, books, media etc. I will acknowledge all primary sources. I will validate information. I will use and abide by the fair use rules.
- Protect Intellectual Property. I will request to use the software and media others produce. I will use free and open-source alternatives rather than pirating software. I will purchase, license, and register all software. I will purchase my music and media, and refrain from distributing these in a manner that violates their licenses. I will act with integrity.
Damage: In the event of an accident, a written letter signed by a parent must be submitted to the school office with an explanation of the event. Parents or guardians are responsible for the full replacement cost of the Chromebook regarding damage. The full replacement cost is $400. Lost accessories replacement cost is $25. Chromebook Acceptable Use Pledge:
I understand that Chromebooks and/or any devices used at school are the property of the Mitchell County School System. I agree to use the device properly and will follow all instructions provided to me by my teachers and other adults at Mitchell County High School. This means I will:
This also means I will not: